- About GPA
- Board of Directors
- Annual Reports
- GPA Members
- Become a Member
- Global Directory
- Key Initiatives
Keynote Address on Global Literacy to be Delivered by Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO
Date:Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 4:00pm - 5:30pm
Jon M. Huntsman Hall, University of Pennsylvania 3730 Walnut StreetPhiladelphia, PA 19104
The University of Pennsylvania is proud to present Director-General of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Irina Bokova, as the Keynote Speaker for a symposium exploring, "Global Literacy in the 21st Century: Problems and Prospects." This premiere event is in recognition of the inauguration of the UNESCO -- Penn Chair in Learning and Literacy.
Mrs. Bokova has served as Director-General of UNESCO since November 2009. She is the first woman to have been elected head of the Organization. She also served as Minister of Foreign Affairs and Ambassador of Bulgaria, where she was responsible for human rights issues. Later, as a deputy of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (1990-1991 and 2001-2005), she participated in the drafting of Bulgaria’s new Constitution, which contributed significantly to the country’s accession to the European Union.
Introductory Remarks to be Provided By:
- Ezekiel Emanuel, Professor & Vice Provost for Global Initiatives
- Andy Porter, Dean, Graduate School of Education
- Nerissa Cook, U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State.
- Richard Whelden, Director, USAID Office of Education
- Moses Oketch, Reader, Institute of Education, University of London
- Vivian Gadsden, W. T. Carter Professor of Child Development and Education
- Dan Wagner, Professor & UNESCO Chair in Learning and Literacy
University of Pennsylvania Office Of The Provost
University of Pennsylvania Graduate School Of Education
- Penn GSE International Educational Development Program & International Literacy Institute